Garland area Dentist discusses tooth-colored fillingsOur top priority as a dental care provider is helping our patients maintain healthy teeth and gums. One of the ways we do so is by addressing common problems using treatments that restore oral health. While we encourage all of our patients to maintain their regular visits and practice good oral hygiene, there are situations when they may develop tooth decay. Cavities are areas of tooth decay and are caused by plaque and tartar build up on the teeth. When these substances are left on the teeth, the acid causing bacteria they harbor can erode the enamel and move into the tooth. Cavities can cause an increased sensitivity in the tooth as well as pain.
When a cavity is found in the tooth, treatment is typically a dental filling. Dental fillings work to prevent the decay from spreading and seal the tooth. In decades past, silver amalgam was the most common type of dental fillings. Amalgam has come under scrutiny because it contains mercury. Mercury is a known toxin. When amalgam fillings are heated during normal functions such as brushing the teeth and chewing, the mercury releases vapors, exposing the patient to the toxins. In addition, the silver fillings are very noticeable. If you’ve had a filling in the last few decades, you may have an amalgam filling.
Dr. Suri uses tooth-colored composite resin for fillings. These fillings blend in seamlessly with the tooth and create a completely natural looking restoration.
When placing a dental filling, Dr. Suri will first remove the decay and clean the tooth. The composite filling is then placed into the cavity area. The final step is polishing the filling to seal the tooth.
The benefits of tooth-colored fillings include:
- Natural looking
- No exposure to mercury
As with any dental issue, the best form of treatment is prevention. By properly cleaning the teeth at home and receiving regular dental care and professional cleanings, you can help avoid cavities and maintain a healthy smile. If you would like more information about tooth-colored fillings or other services offered in our Garland office, call Kings Dental today.
- Cosmetic Dentist in Garland TX - How patients can benefit from visiting a cosmetic dentist in Garland TX
- Dental Bridges near Mesquite TX - Dentist near Mesquite, TX offers dental bridges
- Dental Crown in Garland - How dental crowns can improve the appearance of teeth for patients in the Garland area
- Tooth Colored Fillings Garland - Garland area Dentist discusses tooth-colored fillings
- Cosmetic Dental Bridges Mesquite TX - Patients in the Mesquite, TX area ask, “What are cosmetic dental bridges?
- Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures Garland TX - Common cosmetic dentistry procedures offered by dentist in Garland, TX