Convenient, comfortable dental services customized to each family member in Garland, TXBy Dr. Vidya Suri
Your genes and oral healthGenetics plays a significant role in the development of serious oral conditions, including gum disease. In fact, researchers have isolated genetic variations behind the two leading causes of tooth loss: decay and advanced gum disease. The FAM5C gene implicated in heart disease is also associated with areas of diseased gum tissue!
It’s important for patients with a genetic susceptibility to get early treatment at Kings Dental. It’s also easier for Dr. Vidya Suri and her team to identify these patients when they’re accustomed to treating preceding generations in the family. Your friendly Garland family dentist knows some of the factors and concerns that may be hereditary. Knowing is the first step to effective prevention – always the best medicine. Preventive options such as dental sealants, fluoride treatments, and custom night guards protect teeth from damage.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes seniors have the highest rates of gum disease; more than 70 percent of Americans aged 65 and older have the advanced form (periodontitis). You or a loved one may encounter new health challenges as you age, which only makes 6-month (or more frequent) check-ups all the more important.
Gum disease is more prevalent in older adults due to a number of different factors, including:
- Chronic diseases – Systemic conditions inhibit your body’s response to inflammation. Heart disease, diabetes, and rheumatoid arthritis are among the conditions that can worsen existing gum disease.
- Xerostomia – Better known as “dry mouth,” xerostomia is associated with conditions like Alzheimer’s and with the medications used to manage diseases. More than 200 drugs list dry mouth as a side effect. These include muscle relaxants and medicines to treat high blood pressure and depression. Saliva helps to naturally cleanse the mouth, so it’s no surprise that dry mouth can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, sores, and thrush.
- Old or ill-fitting restorations and oral appliances – Over time fillings, crowns, dentures, or other restorative treatments are subject to wear and tear. During your routine exams and check-ups, Dr. Suri identifies potential problems with existing restorations and appliances. They’re repaired or replaced, so bacteria can’t work its way through the tooth and cause re-infection. Likewise, poorly-fitting dentures can affect every aspect of your life – from how you chew food to how you speak. She’ll discuss proper maintenance, when to reline, or alternative options to conventional dentures.
- Changing hormones – Both pregnancy and menopause can give rise to new oral health problems; for instance, your gums may burn or bleed or you may experience dry mouth. Preventive products and medications help to stimulate saliva, moisturize your mouth, and protect your teeth.
Kings Dental loves its little patients. Our kid-friendly office encourages healthy habits and creates positive experiences at the dentist’s office with a play area and choice of a toy after the visit. You can encourage healthy habits at home. Play fun songs or videos to help pass the time as your child brushes (for at least two minutes!). Encourage tooth-friendly foods early, when the foundation for excellent nutrition is first being built. Cheeses, apples, and carrots are delicious, and have the added benefit of being natural “teeth-scrubbers” and contain just the nutrients your child needs to have a beautiful and healthy smile. Sugars and starches in foods and drinks should be limited, because they love mingling with bacteria to create the destructive acids that eat through our teeth!
Supporting familiesKings Dental has taken the stress out of dentistry with myriad payment and insurance options. We are both a CHIP and Medicaid dentist in Mesquite and the surrounding area. Looking for a dentist open evenings and Saturdays in and around Mesquite? No problem. We offer convenient, weekend and extended hours that accommodate our patients’ busy lifestyles. Call (214) 703-6900 to schedule you or your family member’s appointment at the Garland office.
- Services offered by a dentist’s office open for evening hours
- Royal treatment minus the price tag: Garland Dentist Explains How to Benefit from Medicaid Dental Insurance
- Dentist near Mesquite, Texas welcomes individuals and families with Medicaid coverage
- Convenient, comfortable dental services customized to each family member in Garland, TX
- Get dental work done in ultimate comfort at Garland area practice
- Dentist near me in the Garland area provides cosmetic services
- How to find a new Dentist who is accepting Medicaid and CHIP
- What sets Dr. Vidya Suri's practice apart from others in the Garland, TX area?
- General and Cosmetic Dentistry Services in Garland TX
- 75043 Dentist provides variety of dental services