How good dietary habits can help kids in Garland with their dental healthWe all know how important it is that our kids brush and floss their teeth. However, what they eat and drink is equally as important. Tooth decay is caused when there is a plaque buildup on the teeth. When you eat, the bacteria that are naturally found in the mouth break down the food. During this process, acid is produced and it combines with the food debris to form plaque. Plaque is a sticky substance that builds up on the teeth, usually near the gum line. If plaque is not removed, it can break down tooth enamel and eventually cause a hole called a cavity. Cavities will continue to enlarge without treatment, and they can eventually become infected and require extensive repair or extraction.
Brushing alone is not enough to keep your kids’ teeth healthy. With so many options for unhealthy foods and beverages readily available, it is important to be diligent about good dietary habits to help keep your child’s mouth and the rest of the body healthy.
Limiting sugary beverages and food will drastically reduce the risk of developing cavities. These sweet options may taste good, but they will stick around in the mouth far longer than they are welcome. Bacteria love to feed on sugary, carbohydrate-laden foods. If your child does have a sugary treat, make sure they brush their teeth as soon after as possible. At the very least, have them rinse their mouth with water to help remove particles.
Other habits that can help your child enjoy good dental health include:
- Diligent brushing and flossing. Make sure your child brushes at least twice a day, although brushing after every meal is ideal. While brushing is very important, it can’t remove all the food particles that become trapped in-between teeth. Flossing once each day can help finish the job.
- Have your child drink tap water. The fluoride found in tap water can help protect and strengthen teeth.
- Maintain regular dental visits. Twice yearly dental visits with cleanings and x-rays can help identify early signs of decay.
- Your family deserves the royal treatment and quality dental care in Garland TX
- Where can I find a pediatric dentist near me in the Garland, TX area?
- Why it's important to have a child friendly dentist in Garland when your son or daughter has a toothache
- Visiting an emergency pediatric dentist near Mesquite, TX
- Types of pediatric dental emergencies in Mesquite, TX
- Garland area Dentist discusses how to handle pediatric dental emergencies
- Tips for preventing cavities in the children in Garland, TX
- How good dietary habits can help kids in Garland with their dental health
- Garland, TX area parents ask, “Is there a quality children’s Dentist near me?”
- About your children’s first few dental visits in Garland
- Pediatric Dentist in Garland shares tips for keeping teeth healthy
- Common dental issues from an emergency Pediatrician in Garland, TX
- Gentle Children's Dentist in Garland TX