Types of pediatric dental emergencies in Mesquite, TXPediatric dental emergencies are quite common, yet can still be distressing for children. More than one-third of children will experience some dental trauma or emergency. The two most common age groups for dental emergencies are toddlers (as they begin to explore their environment) and early adolescents as they begin playing sports that are more competitive.
Some of the most common pediatric dental emergencies that we see in the Mesquite, TX area include:
- Toothaches – Toothaches can be caused by many different things. When your child has a toothache, the first thing to do is check to see if there is food stuck between the teeth. If there is, removing it with a toothbrush or flossing can usually relieve discomfort. If there is no food stuck, or pain is persistent, it is important to contact our office. Common reasons for persistent toothaches include trauma, injury, decay, or even the eruption of wisdom teeth. Cold compresses can help reduce any swelling.
- Dental trauma – When an injury to the mouth causes a knocked-out tooth, it is important to seek dental care right away. If it is a baby tooth, we will not attempt reimplantation because it can damage emerging permanent teeth. If the tooth is permanent, we will attempt to reimplant it. It is important to note that time is of the essence. Reimplantation is most successful when performed very close to the time of the injury.
If your child’s tooth has been knocked-out, take special care not to touch the root. Rinse any debris off the tooth with water and keep it moist by placing it a glass of milk.
- Crown Fracture – The crown is the visible portion of the tooth and the most common part to experience trauma. Crown fractures can range in severity, from minor cracks to those that reach all the way down to the pulp and nerve chamber of the tooth. The extent of the damage can be diagnosed with X-rays.
If your child experiences any head trauma, please take them to the emergency room. For more information on handling pediatric dental emergencies, you can call our office.
- Your family deserves the royal treatment and quality dental care in Garland TX
- Where can I find a pediatric dentist near me in the Garland, TX area?
- Why it's important to have a child friendly dentist in Garland when your son or daughter has a toothache
- Visiting an emergency pediatric dentist near Mesquite, TX
- Types of pediatric dental emergencies in Mesquite, TX
- Garland area Dentist discusses how to handle pediatric dental emergencies
- Tips for preventing cavities in the children in Garland, TX
- How good dietary habits can help kids in Garland with their dental health
- Garland, TX area parents ask, “Is there a quality children’s Dentist near me?”
- About your children’s first few dental visits in Garland
- Pediatric Dentist in Garland shares tips for keeping teeth healthy
- Common dental issues from an emergency Pediatrician in Garland, TX
- Gentle Children's Dentist in Garland TX