Important tips and recommendations to keep your dentures clean from Garland, TX dentist
Obtaining dentures may seem like an intimidating process for patients. Those who have experienced tooth loss find that the moment they receive dentures is life-changing. Not only is their smile restored, but they can eat their favorite foods again and smile without feeling embarrassed or self-conscious. They work with their dentist to design their new smiles. With dentures comes proper care. Dr. Vidya Suri of Kings Dental in Garland, TX provides essential tips and recommendations to keep your dentures clean and to extend the longevity of your restorations.
How to care for dentures
Below are several tips and recommendations for keeping dentures clean and beautiful for many years!
- Rinse dentures after eating. Food debris and loose particles from eating can get stuck in dentures and can be difficult to remove later. After snacks or meals, patients should remove their dentures from their mouth and rinse them.
- Handle your dentures with care. It is necessary to handle dentures carefully to protect them from damage. Breakage can happen to the clasps of the dentures, or the material can break if dropped in the sink while rinsing, The dentist often recommends putting a towel down on the sink or counter where you are handling your dentures so if they fall, they won’t break.
- Brush the mouth after denture removal. Using a soft-bristled toothbrush, patients should brush their gums, tongue, cheeks, and the roof of their mouth. This also helps in removing denture adhesive, which may become hard on the gum tissues.
- Brush dentures once a day. At least one time a day, remove the dentures and brush them as you would your teeth. This should be done with a denture brush. Denture cleaners should not be used in the mouth, only toothpaste.
- Stay away from harmful products and materials. Patients should only use the products recommended by their dentist. This may include avoiding abrasive cleaning materials, products containing bleach, hot or boiling water, and whitening toothpaste.
- Soak dentures overnight. Dentures benefit from staying moist to help them keep their shape. By placing dentures in denture-soaking solution or water overnight, the dentures will last longer and will be stored properly when not in use. Patients can ask their dentist about appropriate products to use and how often to clean and soak.
- Rinse dentures before placing in the mouth. Regardless of the reason for removal, it is vital to rinse dentures before placing them back in the mouth. This removes any chemicals or adhesives that were used for cleaning that may be harmful to the tissues of the mouth.
- Visit the dentist regularly. To achieve better oral health and wellness, all patients should visit their dentist at least twice a year for a cleaning and evaluation. This is especially true for denture wearers. Patients need to bring their dentures to the dentist during their visit to check fit and function.
- Call the dentist when dentures no longer fit properly. Dentures that do not fit properly can be extremely uncomfortable. They can cause irritation that can lead to sores and infection of the soft tissues. Whenever there is an issue with the fit of the denture, it is best to bring it to the dentist and have it evaluated. In some cases, the denture can be adjusted, while other situations may require a full replacement.
- Consider alternatives when needed. Dentures do require time and attention to care for them. However, some patients may be overlooking alternative tooth replacement options that do not require as much attention. Permanently placed restorations such as dental bridges, dental implants, and implant-retained dentures may be better suited for some patients. Ask the dentist about these options and make the change if needed.
Please request an appointment with our team today!
At Kings Dental, we welcome patients in and around the area of Garland, TX who are ready to discuss the benefits of taking good care of dental restorations, including partial and full dentures. Patients can call Dr. Vidya Suri and her team to schedule a consultation by calling (214) 703-6900. We are committed to ensuring that patients have access to the information they need to take proper care of their dental work. Kings Dental is conveniently located at 6521 Duck Creek Drive and serves patients in and around the community.