When you come to Kings Dental in Garland, Texas, with a missing or severely decayed/damaged tooth, Dr. Vidya Suri will likely recommend a dental crown. A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap custom-designed to snugly fit over your cracked or otherwise compromised tooth to enhance its function and form. Placing a crown involves removing a bit of the enamel, but you’ll be left with a durable restoration.
The functional and cosmetic uses of a dental crown
Dental crowns are at the center of several treatments in dentistry. Your dentist may recommend a dental crown to resolve the dental issues below.
- Protecting a weak tooth: We’ll likely recommend a dental crown if your tooth is significantly weakened with decay or damage. A dental crown supports the remaining tooth structure to provide reinforcement for many years to come
- Covering a dental implant: An implant is a titanium post surgically implanted in the jawbone to act as a tooth root. Once the titanium fixture integrates with the bone, the dentist restores your implant with a natural-looking crown that becomes your tooth’s visible, functional portion
- Securing a dental bridge: A dental bridge replaces one or more missing teeth using a set of prosthetic teeth attached to the adjacent teeth using dental crowns. The dental crown secures a dental bridge and helps to distribute bite forces evenly
- Protecting a tooth after a root canal: The dentist removes the diseased tissue during root canal treatment to eliminate the tooth infection. After a root canal, your tooth will be structurally weakened, so the dentist reinforces it with a dental crown to ensure it offers optimal function for many years
- Aesthetically enhance your tooth: Dental crowns move beyond restorative dentistry to address several cosmetic issues. Your dentist can use a dental crown to camouflage stubborn discoloration or a misshapen tooth
Dental crowns can be made from composite, metal, or one of the most revered materials in dentistry: porcelain. Our office offers porcelain crowns because they are durable and offer natural-looking results. They are also stain-resistant, ensuring a bright-looking smile despite your love for coffee, wine, or soda.
We strive to empower you, to make well-informed decisions about your oral health through individual consultation.Request an Appointment
Rebuild your smile with porcelain crowns
Would you like to improve the health and appearance of your smile?